Thursday, January 28, 2010

Court is over. I would be more relieved if I had the decision. Egle says that it went well and to celebrate. I think I'll wait to celebrate after the decision has been given, which will not be until Monday afternoon. The judge asked the state/government workers about Greta's older sister, who is 17. She asked whether she may want to adopt Greta when she's older. I couldn't understand all that was being said, but the girl is with a foster family. She doesn't know Greta and there's not telling when or if she'd ever be able to care for her - or even if she would want to. It was heartbreaking to hear Greta and Greta's mother's story in court today. I'm so ready to have her home and so that she can learn what it means to have a family.

Tomorrow Robert and I return to Klaipeda by train. It's about a 4 1/2 hour trip. We will be able to visit with Greta tomorrow afternoon. We are missing her!! We will be visiting with her over the weekend. I think we will be able to take her out of the orphanage during the day, but she will probably not be able to stay with us overnight until we get the court decision. I'm going to check on that to make sure.

Once we get the court documents (which will probably be Wednesday), we'll take them to get Greta's new birth certificate - with me listed as her mother and with her new name - Greta Rose Bass. I'm told it takes a couple of hours to get the birth certificate. Then I take the birth certificate to get her passport. All of this is in Klaipeda. As soon as we get these documents, we will return to Vilnius to start the process of getting Greta's visa.

6 comments:

  1. Praying for all of you! Peace and blessings. So happy things are going well : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading that the judge even briefly considered having Greta wait around to see if her 17-year-old sister might possibly want to adopt her is heartbreaking. I'm so happy court is over & you'll get to see Greta soon! Praying the waiting period will be waived.

    ReplyDelete
  3. praying for peace and quick answers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you to have the court decision soon and be able to finish the other paperwork and get back home with Greta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammy,

    We adopted a little girl from LT this time last year ( 6 at the time)....don't stress about the wait, easy to say I know our judge made us wait 4 days! Al okay in the end and 40 days waived! Good luck and all the very best on your journey to bring you baby girl home.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all. Mel, I'm counting on the same results. This afternoon I've been thinking about what it would be like if the 40 days are not waived. I can't think about it much. I'm counting on Egle being right, she said she's 99% sure!

    ReplyDelete